Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Back to the basics....

As I finish one project and look to finish up another I start to think ahead to what I am about to knit next. My choices are limited as I am sitting at my mom's house and my sock is sitting at home on my couch. But I still have the urge to knit. So, I borrowed a skein of yarn from Robert (I must remind myself to buy him one to replace it), and looked around the apartment for a set of knitting needles. 

The yarn is your basic Red Heart Acrylic yarn, worsted weight yarn. The same thing that I used the first time I picked up a crochet hook and then later a set of knitting needles. I let the strand of yarn run through my fingers as I searched the web for a fancy pattern or two and think to myself "I want to make a hat". So I chose the very first knitting pattern I ever tried, other than a basic scarf of course. It is a tried and true pattern that I do not even need to read anymore. A simple stocking cap with a ribbed border. 

Sometimes, you just need to get back to the basics of your craft. After every complicated crocheting project I complete I like to work out a couple of granny squares, just because it feels good. So why did I think that it should be anything different when I am knitting? I enjoy keeping things fresh and new. But sometimes I just have to go with tried and true. 

So I figured I would share this pattern:

Size 6 Knitting Needles (Though I know I have used different  ones, and I am never sure of the gauge)
Worsted Weight yarn of your choice

Cast on 84 stitches

Knit K1P1 Pattern for 8 rows
Knit Stockinette Stitch for 40 rows

Decrease as follows:
(k10, k2tog)* Repeat 7 times to end
Next Purl
(k9, k2tog)*
Purl
(k8, k2tog)*
Purl
(k7, k2tog)*
Purl
(k6, k2tog)*
Purl
(k5, k2tog)*
Purl
(k4, k2tog)*
Purl
(k3, k2tog)*
Purl
(k2, k2tog)*
Purl
(k1, k2tog)*
Purl
(k2tog)*

Fasten off by weaving the strand of yarn through the remaining stitches and tighten. Tie off and weave in end. 

I can not take credit for creating this pattern. Nor can I give credit to the person that did. I have been using this pattern for close to ten years now. I have no idea where I first found it. Please enjoy it, but do not sell it for profit. 


Happy Knitting!


No comments:

Post a Comment