Friday, December 30, 2011

This weather makes me need a hat....

Lately the cold weather has been getting to me. There is no snow but boy is it frigid out there. So today I am in a hat mood. There is nothing like a hand made hat to keep your head and ears warm on a cold winter day. Hats a wonderful. I have hat patterns galore in both knit and crochet styles. The kids all love when I get into this mood because they always end up with something cute to wear on their heads.

Hats are so much fun to make. By just changing up colorway and yarn choices you can make one hat pattern look like a completely different hat. Aeryn has just started a hat for our friends Baby. Baby A was born a couple of weeks ago and Aeryn has been itching to make her something. She tried to crochet her a blanket but does not really have the patience needed to undertake that task just yet. Maybe in another year or so. At the moment she has decided to use the yarn that she had purchased for the blanket to make the hat. I can not wait to see it when it gets done. She has chosen to use the circular knitting loom. I have read that this is the best way to teach children to knit and I hope that it is right.

I made Alex a hat on the knitting loom. Well at least the hat was intended for Alex. However, with the loom that I chose, the hat came out to small for my big man's head. So I will tuck it away for a craft sale or gifting later on. I will have to make him a new one using the "toddler" size. Who knew that my little man would be considered a toddler already. Aeryn tried valiantly to fit this hat on his head but the result was ridiculous.



The hat that I started at my mom's house came out adorable. I ended up downsizing the pattern that I posted a bit in order for it to fit Aeryn's head but the result came out really cute. Her winter jacket this year is a beautiful light blue green color. She has really deviated from her normal pink color scheme. So I figured this had would go well with it. I reduced the number of cast on stitches to 64 instead of 84, worked rib stitch pattern for 8 rows and then knitted in stockinette stitch for twenty rows. When I started the decrease I started at K6 K2tog, purling wrong sided rows and decreasing from there. It worked up really quickly and within a couple of hours Aeryn had a new hat. My lovely little girl loved it. Hand made hats are just so much nicer than the ones that she can get in the store.

I hope all my reader can get into this hat knitting mood. I wish there were a knitting group around here that met on a day and time that I was not working. I would so be up to joining. Unfortunately that is not so. So until later people.

Happy Knitting

No comments:

Post a Comment